Monday, April 26, 2010

Bigger Doesn't Always Know Better...


I have spent so much time talking to people and their companies, from large to small, that I really don't get shocked anymore. We often deal with significantly larger groups and I have to warn junior agents that just because they are bigger, doesn't mean they know better.

"But they have people."

I have spoken to numerous groups at length and just last week spent time with a company that had 500+ stores; and they did the unthinkable: they leased their machines. What is worse, they were setup on a monthly minimum which is only done when you are given a free terminal placement (opposite of leasing a terminal wouldn't you think?), or in essence were double-tagged for the same machines I would have given them for free. In short, they paid a little over $100k in four years that they didn't need to pay.

And it happens everyday.

I use it to help train my people to shoot for the rafters. After all, the brass ring is only there for one reason, so that you will reach for it. However, I also warn larger groups that there is always room to sharpen the pencil. After all, the only way I was in front of a 500+ store company was that they were over paying in the first place.

Per usual there are multiple places to look for corrosion:
Terminal Fees
Terminal Fees for out of date machinery
Contract fees
Additional lines that are unneeded
3-Tier vs. Interchange Plus
Multiple income streams smashed into one account
Mid Qualified Charges
Non Qualified Charges
and finally...
Discount Rate and Per Transaction Fee

Know what you process, how you process, and look for overages. If you can't read your statement, get your merchant provider to explain it and the overages to you. After a while, they will starting popping out at you.

1 comment:

Priscilla said...

First of all, as the giant with the mace artwork opened, it so captured my attention, that I paused from my initial goal and started to read. I had no idea that a merchant account had so many dimensions ! Way to go !

Further, I then happened upon the oragami shark and read more. I actually began to think I needed to open a web site that does something that takes credit cards.

Third, I entered the coupons and rewards cards and was stunned at the information. I see what you guys are doing 24.7 with your time. Good Luck !
Priscilla